Language Learning Application : My Experience and Review

I started trying some language learning application about three years ago to learn Korean. And then nowadays, I want to get better in Arabic. From my experience, the language you learn is deciding the application you used. I would recommend Memrise and Duolingo if you want to learn Korean but not Arabic. For Arabic I dont have any recommendation but an offline tutor. 

For Korean, I've tried to learn via Memrise, Duolingo, Mondly and Catch it Korean. From those application, I think Memrise is the best. Why? Because it helps you consistently memorize the vocabulary. If you miss reviewing for a day. The words you need to review would be accumulated in the next day. It is a good things so I dont dare to skip any day. 

Memrise provides us with an interesting word game interface. Besides, it also has mems to make us understand the definition of the word. It also has sounds just like the dictionary application. Actually the first reason is why I am loyal to this application.  
At first, Memrise is only about vocabulary. But when I look for another course recently there are option for Korean 1, Korean 2 and Korean 3. I dont know since when it exist, but those course is allowed us to learn about how to make conversation in Korean. In Korean 1 is about basic expressions used in general conversation. 

When I see the lesson plan at the preface of Korean 1, this application already put the grammar lesson. I havent reach it yet, so I couldnt comment. But still, it is a wonderful improvement. Claps!

Second, I tried to use Duolingo because playing with words only is rather boring and like I dont really improve. This application is pretty good as expected from the review. It is allowed us to memorize the words and show us how to use it the sentence.

It comes with themes in every lesson like foods, pronouns, animals, etc. It is good for understanding the grammar and very practical but for me, it is still not enough to understand Korean drama and music. So I would suggest to combine it with lesson from Memrise. Then it would be the best combo. And there is a famous Youtube channel named Talk to me in Korean. It provides us the detailed information about Korean Grammar and I am surprised they also has mobile application now. For a visual learner, maybe it could be better alternatives because they has summary in PDF though the Youtube one is more complete. A must watch video is here https://youtu.be/TUSNTV7VkcI . 

There are another good application I havent tried. I intend to try all of application reviewed here https://www.lingualift.com/blog/best-language-learning-apps/ , just to find the best. Hahaha. Would create the review later. 

For Arabic, I still could not able to find a good tutor online, even in Memrise and Duolingo. The Arabic grammar is rather complicated, and even if I try harder in online, I still could not understand it without an offline tutor. But for a beginner Duolingo is better though Even I already read a grammar book, I still would need a real tutor. 

Ah. There are one more application to improve language I would like to introduce. Especially if you are learning English. It is Elevate.
Elevate is a brain training program (it is said) designed to improve attention, speaking skills, processing speed, memory and more. It is not a language learning application but it helps me get more fluent in English. I think I improved my English skills alot because of this application. 

It provides us with interesting games to identify some wrong grammar in the sentences by reading or listening. Identify the definition of some difficult vocabulary and the opposite. Identify the wrong in pronounciation and so on. Besides it also teach us how to read and calculate faster as the bonus. Pretty complete lesson huh? 

Moreover, the application has a detailed performance tracking which hardly provides by other application. The only negatives from this application is the subscription is pretty expensive but the free version is enough to make your brain entertained. 
If you have another recommendation or suggestion please comment below. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment